Mar 17, 2009

Motivation

One of my dreams is to be able to earn an income writing. A few weeks ago I took the first baby step by signing up to produce content for Associated Content. It was a slow start, but that was exactly what I expected. So far, I've earned a whopping twelve cents from AC. That number is based off of the 5 articles that I've written for the website, all of which were published. My most popular one, to date, is the introduction to mixed martial arts. If I look at that as an hourly rate, I am probably make one to two cents per hour of work. Not the best return for my time.

At the same time I signed on to be a part of The Great Blog Off, a month long foray into the world of competitive blogging. This means that I have a lot more writing to do in my spare time compared to what I did a month ago. Combining these two new projects alongside my regular work schedule, planning a wedding, looking for a new place to live, and maintaining friendships means that I don't always have the chance to write when I want to.

Lately, when I do get the chance to write, I don't always want to write articles for AC. I have a couple ideas for articles that I want to write, I just haven't had the motivation to sit down and work through them. Instead, I've had a number of ideas for this here blog, and have pre-written a number of potential posts. A few weeks ago, I spent a Saturday writing and I wrote three of the articles that are now on AC, yet I couldn't find anything to write for the blog.

The wonderful benefit of writing for myself is that I can work on whatever I'm inspired to write on. If I want to blog about budgeting, I can do that. If I am excited about the articles that I wrote for AC, I can publish a post sharing my excitement. If I want to write about MMA, I will do just that.

This is why I want to be a writer. I want to be able to work on what I want, as I want, when I want, and where I want. It is part of the ethos of personal freedom, financial and otherwise, that I am striving to achieve in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Man, a thought. Maybe you have to write some things you don't want to but will pay you. Then you can just write all the time? I don't know. just a thought. I want to see you writing for a living, thats all.

    ReplyDelete